View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #15
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
Your kit is pretty similar to what I carry. The compressed gauze is great stuff for a space-limited kit. One thing I do carry in addition is a packet of Quik-Clot. Never used it, but it's intended to accelerate the clotting process and has been used in combat situations for treating large wounds. I know there are mixed opinions on the stuff, and there is actually a possibility of burning yourself with it as the chemical reaction creates heat. But I figure it's better to stop heavy bleeding first and foremost, especially if you're not going to be able to expect medical assistance any time soon.

I also stay away from quickclot granules, they are exceptionally thermogenic and as you mentioned can lead to secondary injury due to the high heat generated. I have utilized these in real life and once applied you cannot maintain pressure unless utilizing a large roll of gauze to act as an insulator because it gets so hot it will burn you, and it has to exceptionally painful to the patient on top of causing secondary injury. A better alternative would be the new combat gauze, it is a gauze that is impregnated with a variety of clotting agents, this stuff works tremendously well. I can stop femoral bleeds with this and a few ace wraps. The key to any arterial bleed is to stop the flow and get a clot formed.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote