View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #400
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Great work guys ... glad the crossing and Permiso & TVIP all went as predicted. If you review my earlier post, I mentioned the Aduana was quite distant from the border and immigration office.

I hope you didn't end up at the Hotel Casa Blanca in Caborca ... it's a real Whore House joint. Terrible. Not much good there.

Within 50kms you'll be in the Sonora Desert. I'd recommend turning EAST at Mex 16, at Hermosillo. A great twisty road that leads straight to Copper Canyon. Exit at South end on town off Eastern side highway. (see map) near Griega.

If you leave Hermosillo in early AM and really haul ass, you can make Copper Canyon in one days ride. It's a technical paved road through mountains. Lots of fun. If going at a slower pace stop for the night at either Yecora (kind of a dump) or push on to Basaseachci waterfall. Couple nice small Motels there ... about two hours from Creel. The waterfall is a nice view ... and 'Lover's Leap' place. Good hiking if you're interested.

Mex 16 on the way to Yecora ... miles and miles and miles of this. Watch out for Horses and Burros ... and rock fall on the road.

Dirt road from Creel down to Batopilas. About 50 miles, easy on the DR650. Very scenic and Bato is a nice place to hang for a day or two.

What's your plan for Mexico? How much time do you plan to spend? This is the very BEST time of year to be there. Cool in the mountains but perfect at the beaches. Have fun!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote