View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #31
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Ronin, yeah I always dawn my protective kit, gloves and eye pro at the very least. In the military I know that most of my fellow members are free of communicable blood borne pathogens but I know nothing of the ordinary person out in the world.
Hahaha...yeah, in the military (ex Grunt)I knew what my mates had been shagging and they were more likely to be carrying than the Skinnies were. I wouldn't even share a coffee cup with the degenerates.

When you possess the med kit and the grunts come to you saying they have a problem and they are undoing their pants, you just know it aint gunna be pretty. It's had a few weeks of desert heat to fester. They only come to you when they're on deaths door.

After that, gunshots and amputations are almost a relief.

I think over the last couple of years I've helped with neck and spinal injuries, 2 compound spiral femur fractures, one open...and a few dislocations, couple of dozen broken ribs, and a couple of "spurters". Be prepared, and be prepared to improvise. Keep your wits about you and update your training. I'm an old ex Grunt, and some treatments have improved significantly since we used paracetamol, penicillin powder and Betadine drops to treat everything from tinea to syphilis.

One of the most significant factors in saving one guy was getting the location to the inbound helicopter. I'd done it hundreds of times in the army, but on this occasion grabbed a GPS I'd never seen or used off another bike that was set for a different location format to what I use (I use mils and military grid on mine which had a flat battery, it was degrees of Lat and Long on the one I grabbed) and had to stop and think before I got it right because it had a stupid mouse pad thing. Seeing the chopper coming at you flat out on a dead straight bearing is a good feeling.

The paramedics got us together and told us that we'd done everything exactly right, given them all the information they needed on the flight in, and that I gave them a patient handover they'd expect from a doctor. The guys doctor says he owes us his life. Even the trail bike cop that showed up cut us a break and told us we were the single best equipped and outfitted group he'd ever seen out in the bush. He could have been a real prick and started checking bikes over like they all do here. Instead when he left, he popped a wheelstand from a standing start and flat shifted all the way to top gear with the wheel in the air.

It's a good feeling to know when it all turns to shit you can save a friends life.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote