View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #59
Captain Yesterday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
What other bikes don't require special tools to pull apart to the bare crankcase? Not being sarcastic, I'd genuinely like to know.
Quote:
Is there another comparable bike you can think of that doesn't require special tools to pull apart to the bare crankcase? Not being sarcastic, I'd genuinely like to know. Did you pick up an engine disassembly kit from Cycleworks?
No I didn't pick up the kit, I've been borrowing the BMW specific tools, or making my own. I've gone through a couple of engines over the past couple of years couple of bmw car engines, air cooled porsche, toyota 4 cylinder truck, and a couple motocross 2 stroke engines. Motocross 2 stroke engines are so easy to completely dissemble and rebuild.

As for the crank, the only reason why I asked about re-grinding it to match the new bearings is that, that is what I have done in the past for other car engines. As for this crank it feels fine running my finger and nail along any part of the crank. The only areas that don't feel ok is one of the rod bearings and the thrust washer bearings on the back part of the main. The mains on both ends feel ok, but the back one looks questionable but feels ok. As for the rod bearing that needs to be replaced and the scoring is in a different location from where the journal is. So I'm fairly sure the crank is ok. The motor only has 58,xxx miles on it.

I think since I'm this far I'll just replace all the bearings, that way the bottom end will be good to go for a long long time hopefully.

Thanks for the input
Captain Yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote