View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #34
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,083
Happens..There Is Still Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
I see a big problem riding a bike with linked brakes when the ABS is not working. If you brake with the front hard enough to break the rear loose, You can't get control of the back wheel without letting up on the brakes, you may not have the option to do so.
What you describe happens often where I ride..since I ride almost 100% dirt, a lot is down hill with weight forward and rear light...you still need the front brake and learn to feather in the rear as you apply the front...no big deal, just a touch you learn...remember the linked brakes, which I love, are 70% front and 30% rear when you apply only the front brake [which I always cover while riding], but you can feed in more rear sooner to keep it planted. ABS can be a life saver on pavement...but many of us rode bikes before ABS and learned to ride and stop without it...admittedly sometimes fear and inexperience could result in bad things happening when panic braking...but the front usually was tucked under and ther rear was not the biggest problem..

Just my experience...
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote