Thread: Norra 2013
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #157
Strong Bad OP
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert650 View Post
I agree, self reliant is a must (undeniable). $600 to mag 7 for a "SCORE baja 1000" would be very "cheap," but for a NORRA type race, I don't think it is - there's no comparison logistics wise, or entry wise.
Relying on your paid support (Mag7 in this case) shouldn't be foolish at all. I've been a CHECKER for approx 10 years, so I know a thing or two about organizing pits, communicating with race teams, and relying on pits for support when racing. I've never "dropped the ball" when transporting fuel for a racecar/truck out to a pit, and neither has any of my club members - so I've never expected little in return.

If a "pit club" is going to offer pit support to racers (and charge them for it), then they better be able to back it up.

Being on a vintage CR500, I made the mistake (foolishy) of paying and relying on Mag7 to deliver pump gas to 6 pits (over 3 days). It's a pretty simple task actually, why would I expect anything else? But you say I should have "expected little?" HAHAHHA!!! Geez, I would have gladly paid double to "expect a little more than nothing." Or even triple to "expect something above average."

HAHAHAHA!

But whatever, $hit happens, right? Lesson learned. Hopefully some of you can learn from my mistake as well.
Come on man, if what you say about being a Checker for the last 10 years is correct, you should know better. Thinking that race gas melted your motor is wrong. High octane race fuel burns cooler and slower than pump gas. It is intended for high compression engines to prevent pre-ignition. Pump gas could cause problems with a high compression engine set up to run race fuel (and possibly even melt it down if you are stupid enough to push it that hard) but race fuel in a standard compression engine is simply a waste of money and does NO harm. I'm betting what really happened is you guys partied with Larkin the night before and you forgot to put the oil in the gas. If you are not a bike Checker then you were partying the night before with Tony Tellier and Kras .

How could putting people out in the desert supporting NORRA be cheaper than supporting SCORE????

So yeah Checkers MC or Checkers Offroad?