View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #26
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Good to see you singing the praises of Mex 16. Sorry you didn't get to see Batopilas. You know ... it's 4000 ft lower than Creel? Usually a 20F temp difference. Well, next time!

For the Kiwis,
there are at least two routes to Batopilas coming in from the West off Mex Highway 15. You can find your way from Alamos, a few miles EAST off Mex 15. I don't know it, but have heard it's possible. Folks in Alamos may know more.

A more common way is via El Fuerte. Take Mex 1 off Mex 15.
From El Fuerte, you head to Choix. Ask along the way. Lots of info here on ADV on these routes. I did the Choix route ... but followed someone .. so never had to think! (nice!) There were a few turns but relatively simple and the locals mostly all know the route to Batopilas. Should be fairly dry now, so a good time to go. In heavy rains the water crossings are challenging. I went in October. Rain picks up by mid/late November or December.

If you ever go down again ... another interesting option from Creel is to head South towards Higalgo de Parrall. When you intersect Mex 24, go WEST, not EAST.

There is a NEW road built from the previous end of pavement, which used to be at Guadalupe y Calvo. Most maps will show end of road here.

But NOW there is a paved road all the way to the coast to near Culiacan.
I rode this route before it was paved. (2006) It was a bit challenging. We were on BIG bikes. (GS, Vstrom, Tiger)

It's nearly as remote as the CC area, but more Ranchos and small villages. Lots of Pot growing there too ... so if you're there in the season, don't go snooping. The folks we met along the way were super friendly ... but there has been trouble in that area. Super diverse as you cross several mountain ranges (Sierra Tarahumaru) as you go from 1000 ft. up to 7000 ft and back down several times.

I guess a few of stayed at this joint! I only was there one night ... moved over to my buddy Eduardo's new place. Cheaper, nicer:

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 01:42 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote