View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #70
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
While in Oaxaca I managed to not only develop my Spanish skills but worked hard trying to develop my knowledge of the local cuisine and cooking techniques. I managed to get a week of cooking workshop at school, took a day course with a local family where I was the only student, perused the local markets and restaurants frequently, and cooked occasionally with my home stay host. Marcin/Huzars arrival for a week also led to some brillant extended multi course meals in fabulous restaurants. Delicious!

Mole- the easy way
IMG_2524

And the hard way! Gathering some of the 25 ingredients!
IMG_2755
IMG_2766
Grinding each one down....
IMG_2772

Then cooking for hours!

Tamales are defiantly somethingI will make a habit of making at home. So many ways of making them, and filled with chicken mole they are sublime.
IMG_2627

Grinding the maize for Atole- a corn based drink that they often give to the sick. It's a lot easier to use a food processor trust me!
IMG_2548

Making Aztec soup with epazote herb
IMG_2913

Chapulines/grasshopper- that you could purchase from roving market vendors all over town! good as a snack, but better in warm tortillas with guacamole
IMG_2360

I spent ages watching the chocolate makers all over the town, where people would line up to haul away 3 kilo bags of freshly ground, warm chocolate.
IMG_2414

Blue corn tortillas with pumpkin flowers and yummy Oaxacan cheese at the market

IMG_2908

Duck tacos- exquisite!

duck tacos

The food in Mexico is brilliant, and I could go on and on posting, but I dont want to make you jealous!

Hewby screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 01:02 PM
Hewby is offline   Reply With Quote