View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #72
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
The best thing about my Spanish school, while larger than most so less one on one time, was the intercambio program. While I had spent many nights in the Zocalo talking to the locals that came up to me asking to practice their English. These were all men, and while the conversation all started with my ‘husband’ is in the USA and coming to Oaxaca next week’. Sadly they all ended in ‘please don’t touch me and no you cannot kiss me…’ While mostly harmless, it was again an ongoing drain on my want to continue to interact with the locals and practice my Spanish. The school however, organized for each student, a local English student to pair with to practice respective languages and learn more about each others culture.
My intercambio, Annel gave me insight to the local women, showed me around Oaxaca and the surrounding neighborhoods and markets, took me home for dinner and we shared many evenings laughing. I also went to her school and spoke with the class, which was an eye opener to see the school conditions, and the angle the teaching took.
IMG_2673

Hewby screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 11:57 AM
Hewby is offline   Reply With Quote