View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #455
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Thought i posted this but alas.... not here anywhere sooo here goes again, this in reference to the Truck passing incident.

Most of the unstability at high speeds comes from too much or too little rake/suspension sag. (it can and does go both ways- there's a sweet spot) When either heavily loading or unloading your bike... also when changing to taller or shorter tires you'll change the angle that your bike is sitting at. Causing the highspeed wobble/shake/oscillation, sooo first put a turn on the rearshocks preload (the spring raising the rear a bit) then test ride her a bit... if better goood. If better but still shaking then go some more. If worse go the other way, back off the preload and test ride her again. Do this until she's rock steady at any speed. Everytime I swap tires to a different style/make/diameter, or change my load I do a fine tune of the sag to get her back to her sweet spot.

Also when pounding agressive offroad I stiffen her up to keep from bottoming etc... then when getting back on the slab I go back to my Hwy setup so she's steady at high speed and in turbulance. The headset bearings seem to stay really solid on these Dualsport bikes as in I haven't hardly touched Desiree's in 62,000mi where as the '99 Concours needed them snugged every 8-10,000mi.

I've ran into guys on thumpers and KTM twins who had just swapped on Dunlop 606's for instance and now had shake, looking at bearings and hating the tires. I point out the larger Diameter of the front tire, have them raise the rear a bit.. and they're goood to go.

Another reason I love the Cogent Moab as it is SUPER EASY to reach in and turn the spring collar using a 9/32" rod bent at an angle and a roller bearing collar.

Anyway Peace,
Jim
Interesting! I'd heard of something like this before, but the stuff that I read was mostly people who had done some serious changes, like 17" wheel conversions. It's fascinating that something as minor as the tire height can have such a dramatic difference!

I will admit that I have been a bit of a lazy bum and haven't checked the sag since I've fully loaded it down. It's just felt so much more stable, and similar to the weight the shocks were supposedly sprung for, that I assumed things were fine. Hmmm. I am not sure how to tell if the rake is good or not?

It's a bit difficult for me to test it like you suggest, because this is the first time it's wobbled like this. There was a bit of a wobble when I first tested the cans, but I found out that was due to improper weight distribution and thought that I fixed it... I will test this when I am on the road again and can get away with occasional speeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash81 View Post
Way to go!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD DAMAGE View Post
Hey Feyala,

Just caught up after being away for a few days.

Wow! Sounds like you had quite the get off ............ and just "shook it off". Way to get back on the horse!

Glad everything worked out as well as it did. Bet your folks were glad to see you too!

ATGATT ................ don't leave home without it! May have a coat that would work for you if you need one. PM me, if so.

Also got a "non-altered" mermite can for you if you can't get the damaged one repaired to your satisfaction.

Glad you got to meet Pete and spend some time riding with him. He's an original, huh?

Regards, Rob
Hey Rob, thanks! Yeah, my folks were glad to see me. They turned a bit pale when I showed them the destroyed pants, but all's well that ends well!

I will attempt to repair things and will be in contact if this is unsuccessful. I appreciate the offers!

Pete is a great guy. He was very patient with all of my bitching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
HI Feyala!
I ran across your thread by accident while reading a post on an other site. In two evenings I have read the whole RR and commend you for climbing the steep learning curve you are on. You had mentioned loctiting all the fastners on your bike and I thought I would recomend Loctite 290 which is a green, wicking grade of locker designed to be applied to ASSEMBLED fasteners. Just a small drop on the thread junction will migrate into the threads and then cure, vibration resistant, just like the Blue. This saves much of the labour of disassembling things just to apply the locktite.
Looking forward to following your adventures!
Regards....just jeff
Hey Jeff, glad you're enjoying the ride! I'd never heard of green loctite before! That would save me a lot of time... is it as strong as the blue? How well does it wick in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Ok, I'm in.

If I didn't hear a loud wack when my helmet hit the ground, I'd be ok with continuing to use it. There's been no doubt when my head has hit the ground hard enough to kill the helmet.
Glad to have you along! I remember tumbling and sliding, and my neck's a bit sore, but that's probably because it was tense when I fell. The helmet itself has a small scrape on the back, but not even the chintzy plastic near the scrape is broken. I don't remember hearing a loud whack. Maybe it is fine! That would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
When standing, the steering input by the handlebars should be minimized, you should act like you're countersteering with both hands at the same time to try to remain straight as far as handlebar input is concerned. This is where squatting slightly on the footpegs comes in. Now you're steering kung-fu style by shifting your body weight on the footpegs, and doing the "let the bike ride itself" thing as those one guys put it. With your legs not wrapped around the bike, not as "one" with the bike, you can allow it to wallow forward, back, and side to side by having your balance separated from the machine, in spite of some of the center of gravity being higher. This technique saved my ass from some very unforgiving terrain over rocks and sand. One piece of gear that helps A LOT is bar risers. With the bars higher up, it makes this position much more natural.

Glad you survived your ordeal. I almost had something like that happen in the rain in the plains of Texas with the slippery (wet with rain) tar patches on their resurfaced highways. Fortunately I recovered in time to not have to get off the bike, and it happened so fast I don't know how the bike regained balance and traction.
Applying the rear brake is challenging to me while standing. I do have the bar risers, which helps me to not be hunched over in a weird way, but I still quickly sit down if I encounter corners, uphill/downhill changes, etc. I try to stay off the front brake, especially offroad, especially in sand, but the rear is hard to modulate well when I'm on the pegs and it seems too easy to overapply it. I have done some gentle curves as you suggest, using my weight on the pegs to turn, but for sharper corners I lose my nerve. I appreciate the explanation though, it sheds some light on a few things. I guess it's all just down to practice...

It's spooky how quickly it can happen. Faster than you can think. I'm glad you recovered in time!
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote