View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 05:20 AM   #84
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
24 July 2012
--------------
Labuan Bajo, Flores

The desired boat did, of course, not arrive. I can't wait any longer though. There is another boat back towards Bali. It too is late but should be here in 12 hours. I hate back tracking but it seems like the only way.

Just kick back, sit in the sun and BS with the other tourists.

Eventually the local curious Georges show up. They are amazed by everything on the bike. Spare tire, kick start, trunk, headlights. Removing the tarp and showing the sidecar seat is like pulling a rabbit from a hat, a real magic trick. oooooh! They touch and fiddle with everything. They grab my helmet and shove it on their head.
Inevitably they start pushing the limits. "Show me picture your girlfriend"..."ooooh, show me more picture your girlfriend"...."oooh", etc..
And then on to "oooh, give me keys, I make test drive".
Seriously? Do these guys act like such idiots with their own people or only foreigners?

I go hide with some other foreigners. We discuss our encounters with the locals. Half of us think they are lovable idiots. The other half just think they are idiots. Not all of them of course, just too many. Mocking locals is always a solid tourist time killer. I suppose they do the same when visiting us. Those crazy Bules (white people) and their wacky Western ideas of personal space and consumerism!

The boat comes and it's going to be a 9 hour trip. Overnight and we should get there about 4am. I'm tired. I woke up at 5am after 4 hours of sleep. I try to sleep. Not possible. Indonesians have so much noise and other people around them all the time that I think quiet and personal space actually makes them uncomfortable. They sleep better with the noise. Several guys start blaring music from portable speakers then plop their head down beside it and go to sleep. No such luck for me.

Curious George

I think that's Obama

Mudflaps and work trucks are the only acceptable place to depict sexy women. Not on magazines. Not on billboards. But here, always.

Mud flaps and work trucks are the only acceptable place to depict sexy women. Not on magazines. Not on billboards. But here, always.
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote