View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #56
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,782
9th November 2012

It’s time to start heading back north.

I looked at the map last night, and then at the weather forecast. It’s not going to be easy to find a dry route from Granada, but it looks like heading towards Madrid might be the best bet.

I book a reasonably priced room in Guadalajara, northeast of the capital, and get an early night.

Waking this morning, I am dismayed to see that the forecast ‘broken cloud’ has been rather inaccurate…

Hey-ho...

I have some breakfast then kit up for a period of wet weather. I leave my sheepskin seat cover in the pannier, as I am convinced that sitting in the sodden mass of it a few days ago didn't help keep me dry.

I filled up last night, so get fully kitted in the underground garage and then set off at about 0920...

It's every bit as miserable as it looks. Bettie steers me onto the main dual carriageway out of town...

...and as I leave the outskirts of Granada, the heavens open. I quickly put the camera away under the shower cap on the tank bag and hunch down to minimise the surface area exposed to the drenching torrent. I am keeping up 130kph and the road has very little traffic on it. A single drop of water - exquisitely icy cold - runs slowly down my sternum and I find I've failed to do up my Velcro fastened collar. I put this right and ride on.

This lasts for two hours, at the end of which I have covered 130 miles and stop to refuel...

A trio of sports bike riders are refuelling - all Spaniards. I fill up with Super Unleaded, give them a wave and ride on...

The weather doesn't abate - it's nasty. I retrieve the camera from its waterproof lair for a second to get a pic of this huge silhouette of a fighting bull. They appear prominently on high ground all around Spain and are adverts for the Osborne Sherry Company.

Just after entering the province of Toledo, the rain starts to abate. The skies gradually get lighter, then some blue appears. I'm quite cold, as the water in my suit is starting to evaporate and chilling me as it does so. Unfortunately this is the time my heated jacket decides not to play...

I press on, not bothering to stop - it's not far to the hotel...

A slightly drier bull.

Still heading north towards Madrid, the weather is now quite pleasant...

These boards are all over the place too - they show a black silhouetted man with a red jacket and hat on - I believe they are sherry adverts too...

Skirting around the south-eastern corner of Madrid, I am struck by the amount of graffiti there is. Every vertical surface seems to have been painted on. It was something that I've noticed generally about Spain - spray paint everywhere...

At 1315 I stop and fill up, then check into my hotel...

...with its very pleasant ground floor room. The Adv lives outside under a carport...

I have a relaxing afternoon reading.

Where to tomorrow?

MikeO screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 07:54 AM
MikeO is offline   Reply With Quote