View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,759
First Impressions

A while back COXR650L asked if I'd be interested in checking out his new line of Dubinke riding wear, I remembered Ben's thread last year in the Rockies forum soliciting design input, there was some good ideas thrown out from riders I know and respect for their abilities. In this area it's not unusual to be riding desert sand one day and 12,000' forested mountains the next so rarely does one outfit work all year. Ben was shooting for a "all weather" design, my curiosity was piqued!

Being no stranger to quality dirtbike gear, I know if you want some that lasts, it's going to cost you. I recently bought a pair of Moose Sahara pants. First ride I went down and the pants split across the knee, 3" tear, I almost got one ride out of a $110 pair of "quality" pants. They're probably fine for some areas but not here in the rockies.

The gear arrived last night, even though I haven't been riding with it yet, I wanted to give some first impressions. The first thing you notice about these pants is they look rugged, think of a pair of Cargo pants in ballistic nylon. The pants are all black with the Dubinky Logo embroidered on the flap of the cargo pocket, nice! I prefer the subdued look when it comes riding gear, some of the flashy MX inspired designs draw allot of stares from the locals when we DS through places like Truth or Consequences or Roswell NM so subtle is good . You won't feel like James Stewart on the podium wearing this gear.

The two front cargo pockets are large, they'll easily fit my Garmin 60csx when I need to collect tracks on the sly. No shortage of storage for cell phone, wallet and most anything you'd want to carry within reason. They utilize horizontal openings so there's less chance of loosing anything compared to the vertical openings found on some highend brands. Also the fact that they are cargo style means if you do fill them up, it's not going to pull the leg tight when you try to close them. I haven't tested it but the design looks like the pockets will be waterproof. Of course, YKK zippers all around. I usually don't wear over the boot pants because most tend to have baggy legs. Ever put your leg down on the peg and have the kickstart go up your pants leg? It's not pretty come next stop. The Dubinky pants have a cinch strap at the bottom of each leg to keep a tight fit at the cuff. The lower legs are also adjustable so they can be made to fit tight to the boot if preferred. This should accommodate any boot from MX style to a street type boot.

The big challenge as I see it was to create pants that aren't too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter and still provide the protection needed for our kind of riding. Some manufacturers achieve airflow with exotic weaves that usually compromise the garment's crashability and cold weather comfort. Not the case here, the material thickness and coverage is about what you'd expect from rugged durable DS type pants, typically that means they'll be hot in the summer. These incorporate 18" zippered vents on both the front and rear of each leg extending almost to the waist, 4 total. They also have a perforated wicking type liner that is supposed to draw moisture away from the body and provide airflow between the garment's nylon shell and the rider's body. I have no way to test them in hot weather right now but the design looks like it will provide plenty of airflow to the boyz which as you all know is key to staying comfortable.

As for sizing, I'm 5'10"/165#, 33~34" waist. I got the small, I think a 34" waist will be the crossover point to a medium.

The jersey is made of a slightly perforated moisture wicking synthetic with reinforced collar and cuffs. About what you'd expect to see in a football jersey. The color is a white/Grey/black mix, stylish without going James Stewart on your buddies. It compliments the black pants.

From all I can see, Ben incorporated the best of our ideas into his gear. I can attest to the fact that this gear was inspired by ADV riders who do ride, Right On! I'll be posting up my impressions following a ride in a couple weeks, Keep an eye out if you're interested.

I got to see the website today and saw the price of these pants, IMO they are definitely inline with the garment's quality and use. They are priced about what 2 decent pairs of Chinese produced pants cost and you'll need three of those, one for winter, one for summer and one as backup when you shred a pair. I seriously doubt I could shred these pants without getting hurt in the process.

Lastly I want to mention his choice of the name Dubinky, it might sound odd but it's named after the Dubinky Wells region of Whitewash Sand Dunes OHV area in Utah. The area is known for the Dead Cow Loop and The Tubes. Epic trails in an area known for its outstanding riding, the promised land for dirtbikers. If you find yourself in Moab, you won't be dispointed in this ride.

Nice Job Ben and thanks for using our ideas!

RideFreak screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 01:58 PM
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote