View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #223
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
sdpc2 - thanks much for the kind words, glad to have you reading along!

JohnnyCash - did you post them for sale here? I would've bought them from you in a second! I was really happy to find the ones I did for under $30. I've seen crappier ones go for far more.

I went out in the garage to prep the engine for swapping out the clutch water pump seal, and rear main seal, which I hope to do tomorrow. I decided to go ahead and remove the old oil filter and replace it with the new one, and put the new cover gasket in as well. I leaned the engine over as shown below. \

I pulled on something just a bit and the whole damn cart started to go over. Luckily, I was able to catch it before anything hit the ground. I quickly moved the engine to a less precarious position and moved on! I was shaken though - I don't want to think about what would have happened if the engine went all the way down.

I was surprised to find this underneath the oil filter cover:

Old filter. Oil didn't look too, too bad, but it was definitely time.

Spent the majority of my time scraping the old oil filter cover gasket off. It was a bear.

While I was thinking about it, I decided to start soaking the rear main seal in motor oil. I'll let it sit like this overnight, which I've read makes installation easier.

New oil filter about to go in:

New gasket, and then buttoned up:

Then onto the oil pan. I repositioned the engine again, this time making sure there was no chance of the cart tipping over!

I saw another inmate do this (my apologies to whoever I stole the idea from). Seemed like the cool thing to do, so here you go!

I was afraid the oil pan gasket would suck after the oil filter gasket, but it came right off with a razor.

Degreased and shined up a bit:

This is probably the cleanest this oil pan has been in 40 years, or will be for another 40 years!

And loosely back together:

I still want to do a bit more today, but it's a GORGEOUS day, so I'm off to spend some time with the wife and daughter. Hopefully more to come both today and tomorrow.

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote