View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #204
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnjinSan View Post
Guys,
until the next writing, I have a question that some of you might be able to help with. Our boat from Panama to Colombia will leave on 8th of December so we have more or less 1 month to enjoy Central America.
We are now in Guatemala and are plotting a route at a slow pace towards El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama finally, at the beginning of December.
In this time and somewhere in one of these places we would like to:
- of course avoid trouble areas (should we skip El Salvador and/or parts of Honduras?) and trouble border crossings
- spend some quiet days (1 week maybe?) in a hammock at a nice and cheap beach (Pacific or Atlantic)
- try some "activities" for the first time in my life: surfing, snorkeling, scuba diving, zip-lining or any other stuff that is available and quite cheap.
- in general lay low and live cheap :)

So given the above coordinates, do you have any suggestions for us?

Thanks,
Alex
Hola Alex. You will have no problem taking a month to get through Central America. I was there earlier this year and have lots of information in my RR if you are interested. The border crossings are always a bit crazy in Central America. I have detailed the information in my RR at each of the borders that I cross. The best advice is the arrive early, well rested, with some food and water and enjoy the 2-4 hours that it will take at each border. It is a bit hectic as nothing is clearly marked and the procedure varies at each side of each border....... Relax you do not need to pay any "Fixers" ..... Decline them all, and just do it yourself. You will need to ask at each step what the next step is!

See the index on the first page of my RR for each country.

But don't miss El Salvador. You can ride to La Libertad which is a cheap little beach town!

Nicaragua has some nice places including Granada and also beach towns. Costa Rica and Panama will be more expensive as you head through them.

What boat are you taking from Panama?

PM if you have any other questions, and I will see if I can help!

Mark

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote