View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #209
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Oddometer: 481
tHE SKagwY pt 4

I turned around quick because of a truck with an empty flat bed trailer behind, parked next to the road. Exactly like the type you would use to tow an ATV or a sled, oops, I mean snow machine (in a different season of course), with the ramp still down next to a little path leading into the woods.

It obviously needed checking out.

And I am glad I did. I am also glad I didnít have any extra luggage or a more obese bike because it was steep.

Real steep.

The hill kept going and going and going, up and up and up. There were a couple moments of doubt, but in that situation you have no choice; just gas it and go. Not too many rocks, at least at first. Just steep and unrelenting, enough to where there was a little clutch slipping involved to make it.

No stopping and no slowing just keep going, it was a relief to finally make it.

Photobucket

The trees disappeared, choked off by elevation and the elements, giving way to an alpine playground.

Photobucket

Running into the owners of the truck and trailer, I thanked them for tipping me off. It would have been very easy to just blast by the little path off the main road. They seemed pretty surprised to see me roll up on the bike, mainly surprised that I was able to manage the hill. One owned the campground in Skagway and the other was retired and spent all his time ATVín and sledding. I mean snow machining. They were awesome, the typical friendly and helpful Alaskan.

After a warning about the clouds coming in from the sea, they headed down but there was more poking around to be done for me.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After finding all the dead-ends, it was time to head back. The clouds were coming and riding a waterfall down would not be fun.

Photobucket

If you ride off road, not just graded gravel roads, you understand that up can be much easier than down. That was the case here too, and all you can do is pucker up and go with it.

At the bottom I waved at the guys, as they were just getting back to the truck, and headed back up the slab.

Not much before Carcross there was another interesting looking side-road, so I stopped to check it out. It looked good, but the day was wearing thin, there didnít seem to be any liability waivers, and it was time to get back to the truck.

Not until after a quick shot of the sign though, just in case one might find himself in the neighborhood again in the future.

Photobucket
SPREAD THE WORD, SAVE OUR SPORT!!
Z_HARSH is offline   Reply With Quote