View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #486
2WheelieADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
Yes, I am always struck by a sense of freedom when I get to Russia. And whenever I get back to Europe I am suddenly overwhelmed by the rules ... I puck up speeding fines, parking fines and get yelled at for riding in places I am not supposed to ride, and then you get your bike stolen. In Russia I typically find the exact opposite of all the above.

Neither Terry or I picked up any fines at all on this trip this year in over 3 months. No parking fines, no speeding fines, nothing stolen, no-one telling us we cant ride here or there ...

We even only came across 2 livestock gates in the entire trip Both were in the Ukraine. In the UK you can barely ride half a mile offroad without having to get off, ride thru a livestock gate, close it behind you etc. But here, 2 gates in over 3 months offroad.
If you think Europe has restrictions, try the USA. Cops are just everywhere. European 130km/h limit is a breath... park on sidewalks or on any spot available...
VVe rode from Spain to Hungry and it felt like in biker''s paradise. No highway patrol, passing is permitted almost everywhere (especially in France), lain splinting... etc. Yeah, open lands of Russia have lot's of freedom, but everything is in comparison :)

2WheelieADV screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 09:38 PM
2WheelieADV is offline   Reply With Quote