View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 05:31 AM   #15
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,607
My softail had foreword controls, sold it a few years ago, and my Sportster had forewords but I switched them out for mids. Also, my KLR has highway pegs that are in a comparable spot to where the Sportster forewords were. I reach for the brake sometimes on that one.

Anyways, I somewhat like the forewords. Just cruising around on backroads they are very comfortable to me. Not exactly a 'natural' position, but still comfortable. The problems for me occur on the highway.

For the Softail, that's what will concern you more:

When I rode the Softail on it's one and only trip I was getting a bit beat up from them. For one the wind was pushing my feet off the pegs at 70+ mph, and two the wind was following my legs up and hitting me in the chin. I had a windshield on at that point, rest of the bike stock.

When riding on the highway with no windshield it pushes your upper body back, and you rely on your arms to hold you up.

More weight on your butt, with no relief in sight.

For my Sportster I switched them to mids, for a combination of weight on my butt and for feet blowing off the pegs on the highway. Worth mentioning is that if I couldn't have switched them for free I wouldn't have done it, it didn't bother me much. I plan on buying highway pegs one day, and they will mount roughly in the same spot the old pegs were.

Deal breaker? Nope. Not for me. I sold the softail to buy a Road King. I wanted a more long-haul capable bike, and the foreword controls vs. floorboards were just one piece of the puzzle. My main reasons were luggage ability and ride quality. My softail was lowered with a springer front end, not exactly the best long haul bike. The ex and I spent a week touring New York area on it, I was pretty sick of seeing the bike by the time we got back.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote