View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #2858
Itapop
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Ktm 525

Got the model 60 mounted on my K 525/04. Only fitting for me the handguard mount, slightly modified- protected place and high enough for shorter shades. The light works good as far to now and I hope it'll last. On the electrical side it's a mounting on the edge, because I've not modified the stator, so it produces 55 W on the AC circuit and only 20 W (more or less, 1,4-1.7 A at 12-13V) for the DC battery charge. The measured light absorption is 2,2 A at 13,7 V (=30 W), then the battery has a loss of 0.5A /12W per hour. Not a big problem as far it is a lithium battery of 9 A, and I put on the light only for a couple of hours after sunset. I guess the light could work at least 7-8 hours before starting to drain the battery.
Light put on only on off road riding of course- in Italy police would seize the bike with such a blinding light even if dimmed (I know, the new Ducati or Bmw GS have oem led headlights, but they are filtered by thick lens to be street legal).

Two questions:

1- I've put a 3A fuse for the overvoltage: could the light be damaged by a low amperage / voltage in case of battery drained?
2- I saw the BD Squadron light. Good light but less suitable for me. Same 4 Cree T6 leds. Why do they declare a higher absorption of 42 watts? Maybe is there a more protective internal electronics?
Thanks!

Itapop screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 01:29 PM
Itapop is offline   Reply With Quote