View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #18
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsinc View Post
Great RR so far! Did the coast north of SF to Ferndale, including Usal, Lost Coast, Sinkeyone, and Shelter Cove a month ago -- thanks for the pics and the memories!!

Guess I should get mine up...
By all means. Post up those pics. We'd all love to see them.

Left Monterey and headed south to the Big Sur area. This to me is one of the prettiest sections along the coast. Had perfect weather but the traffic picked up quite a bit along with some road construction. Still an epic day of riding. Decided to go ahead and check out the Horizons Unlimited gathering.

Gonna jump ahead here a few days. I arrived at the Horizons Unlimited late Thursday and although it went thru Sunday I was really ready to leave on Friday but stuck it out until early Saturday morning as I'd paid for camping and some meals. Probably about 200 or so people, all of whom I met were really nice but it just wasn't my cup of tea. You can only look at bikes so long and I thought the talks/presentations were not very good. Guess some really like this type of gathering but I wouldn't go back especially considering the price. I'd much rather be out exploring and riding. I kinda hung out Thursday night and went to some presentations. Friday I got up and rode back up the coast to get some pictures of the elephant seals.

Met this couple from Germany doing a Round the World Tour. They were also at the HU gathering. They could really ride this thing. I was impressed at how well they could corner with it. Talked with them back at the gathering. Really interesting and nice couple.

Friday night decided that I was gonna take off the following morning and head east to the Southern Sierras and take a route I hadn't been on before. Was kinda watching the weather back home and figured I had about a 3 day window to get back. Really didn't want to slab on Interstate north and then cut over on Tioga Pass as I had done this several times. Friend of mine was also at the gathering and he left for home as well Saturday morning and took a more northerly direct route and made it. I cut it to close and would pay for it later but the next two days were great riding in some new areas I hadn't covered before. Headed east with Sequoia National Forest the destination for the day. Pouned out the miles until arriving in Springville. East of there the road starts twisting and climbing.

Rode across the souther Sierras up thru Camp Nelson and ended up north of Kernville on the Kern River. Found a closed campground and since the weather looked great opted to sleep on the picnic table vice setting up the tent.

Camp for the night....

hanksmybuddy screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 10:39 PM
hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote