Lots of assembly, and a little fabricating this weekend.
Start with lapping the valves.
Allan took the good pictures.
The first transmission shaft had some pitting on one of the bearing surfaces, so we swapped in the shaft from the new 550 motor. Of course, the oil passage had to be cut.
The kickstarter is half of the reason for doing all this motor work. Here's the shaft.
Bottom end done, waiting for the top end parts: the cylinder is at a machine shop getting decked, the new rings need to be gapped but otherwise it's ready to bolt together.
So, on to the swingarm. It's going to be built almost from scratch. Rick cut off the pivot tube:
I did some practice of cutting the tube for the new swingarm. I can't remember who or where, but someone on this forum mentioned that using a rod in the center of a hole saw instead of the pilot bit worked really well, and they were right.
Good fit on the practice piece, time for the real thing.
Small tool, big job. But it worked.
The pilot hole is cut:
And then the main hole:
The tube will be cut in a few different spots and then welded back together to make the swingarm.
And that was about all for the day, besides filling up three big bags of trash to haul out of the shop. Not really picture worthy.