View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #21
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrawk View Post
Not sure i quite understand? I know I want a spoked rear wheel at least i think, and I know I want a 17' wheel right? and a 20 or a 21" front right? spoked in the front for sure. I have about 20 mono lever final drives to choose from at work ;) my question is, can i get a spoked 17 inch wheel for the rear thats 4 lug? the G/S and r80's are 3 lug right? id also preferable like to run a disc rear, but not absolutely necessary.

thanks!!
Yes, I'd want a spoke rear. They handle abuse much better. 17" or 18" would both work. Depends on what kind of tires you want. For serious offroad work there's a much better selection of 18" tires. Problem is that none of the 4 lug monolever bikes had spoked wheels and therefore there is no such thing as a 4 lug monolever spoked hub, so you'd have to make one by milling down a R100GS hub to fit. You definitely want a 21" front rim, probably 1.85" wide. Forget about a disc rear on a monolever, unless you want to do a LOT of work.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote