View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 01:57 AM   #30
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

Oddometer: 2,802
You can all get stuffed!

And with the introduction over, I shall proceed with the adventures of (name of new girlfriend withheld at this stage)

I'm safe and sound in Katikati for the next few days, before I venture south to Invercargil.

First off a BIG THANK YOU to Alex, the bike is much better looking then what the photo's show. You must have spent some time detailing it, even the spokes sparkle! And there are no oil leaks anywhere. You have done well

As for the bike, it is one very sweet motor and gearbox,it runs beatifully, and pulls like you know who. Catching up to a van with my cheap top case on board, saw 150kph on the GPS on the motorway.

BTW, filled the bike up with Premium, took almost $70 to fill, and it wasn't empty
Stayed last night at the Lincoln Green hotel/motel, excellent value at $103NZ. This morning headed to Cycletreads as recommended by Alex to have brand new rubber and tubes fitted front and rear.
Another BIG THANK YOU to them for great and prompt service with attention to detail. Spotted a Givi screen on the floor in a corner of the shop, Buggar me dead, it's for a BMW F650GS or a R800GS! Position it on the bike and bingo, fits like a glove, add that to the cart thank you.Go up stairs to have a free coffee, excellent brew while waiting for the work to be done. Browsing around, I try on a set of riding pants, lined and with armour and short legs, perfect! add to cart, plus a Frank Thomas rain pants just to be on the safe side, on special, half price

Ah, nothing like shopping therapy, and the cost? Less then $700NZ, bloody great value

AS I'm repacking the bike and its begining to rain, Peter and his son Curtis who had also been shopping in the store and had heard I was heading to Katikati then on to the Burt Munroe festival, approached and offered to take my suitcase(cheap top case) and screen to Katikati in their 4x4, as they lived nearby, thus avoiding it and the contents getting wet!

No worries, I'll just follow you, just as well, as we ran into rain and wind all the way down the motorway. 80k's out of Katikati, the motor stopped charging, so I was running on the battery! Pulled into the drive way of Ian's home and the bike died. Perfect timing

How friendly can you get from total strangers? When we meet again in Invercargill, drinks will be on me for Peter and Curtis.

Upshot is, bike will stay at Ian's till we sort out the electrical/charging problem. Alex mentioned that something didn't seem right, he thought it a bad battery.
As it was, I had bought down a brand new 450W complete charging system for the bike, so I could safely run heated grips/clothing, driving lights etc. Ian informs me that for about $200Aus I can buy a brand new wiring harness for the R80GS from Motobins. Added to the cart.
End of problem.

I still get to go to Invercargill on a bike thanks to Ian's kindly offer of his R100GS, but the sly old bastard has my beautiful R80GS, which is worth more, as ransom, securly tucked away in his fortress.

Sorry no photo's yet, probably tomorrow night.

Stay tuned for the next installment

Not too bad for my 1st 24 hrs in NZ

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is offline   Reply With Quote