View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #466
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Hey Juanito!
I am pretty sure Santa will survive but the Oaxacan tourism bureau will likely put a bounty on you. LOL!
Nice summary and a very, very interesting perspective.
If you get a chance (because, darn it, you missed it) take a look around La Cantona across the Puebla state line from Perote. Very little of it has been "restored" and I think you will find it very cool to visit. Easy camping in that area there, too.
Your insight is important because 100 years from now, people will have no clue as to the re-build.
I think you would also like Quiahuixtlan on the coast because it, like La Cantona, is still fairly virgin in the "rebuild" sense.
I can also show you how locals here partially destroyed one pyramid and had there eyes on two more, for using the pyramid material to make bricks. The UNAM archeo types rescued the one pyramid and have made sure the other two will be kept as is.
Hi Mike,

I checked out pics of La Cantona and it looks authentic. Maybe check it out on the way back.

It looks much like this work with lime based mortar which is the only old work I saw at Monte Alban. I hopped the fence and walked around the back of the far pyramid to see what it looked like before they started:

I actually like looking at the original work too. I find it interesting to see what the boys were up to centuries ago.

Its like antique motorcycles. I like the restored ones and I like the ones that are un-restored vintage relics with all the patina of the years.

Saludos,
Juanito