View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #627
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
Hey, I was fixing dinner and had an idea what the problem might be, so dropped everything to post this.

One of my bikes had a problem with a float bowl overflowing and it drove me nuts. The float was set properly and turned off at the correct place, but then one time while taking a closer look, it seemed like the float needle was getting stuck.

Upon closer inspection, the sharp edge of the float needle had dug a groove in the brass of the float tang, and was hanging up in that. The float would drop, get stuck down and then not stop the flow. Anymore, I chamfer the edges of those needles to prevent that.
I have succeeded in creating a good mystery when I can stop someone in their tracks with an epiphany!
Funny, I was thinking about that when i pulled the bowl the other night. I cut the fuel the unlatched the bowl and the second I lowered it, fuel dumps all over me and the level of fuel in the bowl was about 3/4 to full. That carb has never leaked but I've almost always noticed the bottom of the bowl having a bit of fuel on the bottom.
I'm going to check that one tomorrow...even if not the cause, that's not a good thing to keep around.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote