View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #98
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,530
Frustrated

After spending many hours reading all the threads on ADV, I purchased the 2" Rox risers. I did a dry run leaving the cables in front of the forks to test out the concept. When I noticed that the cables were tight, as everyone here indicated they would be, I preceded to remove the fork caps to drop the forks in order to re-route the cables and brake lines.

What I found was that the nuts were somewhat corroded and apparently bonded to the studs. I was unable to get them off without the bolt starting to feel like it was starting to round off. Fearing mission creep and a trip to my BMW dealer in my future, I gave up.

Are there any secrets to getting off corroded nuts without destroying the stud and it's associated parts? I thought about trying to heat up the nut, but there are too many wires in the area that possibly could be damaged in the process.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote