View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #909
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Thanks for all the recommendations, guys. I'll be staying a little longer than I originally planned just to try and take more of New Orleans in. Pics were shot at 12:30 (which reminds me, I need to change the time on the camera now that I'm not in +3 timezone!).

Camera is a Sony DSC RX100 (which replaced my Canon that malfunctioned in Boston). Settings for these pics were all at/around f/4.5, 0.8" w/an ISO speed of 125. Other than cropping and a few burns none of these pics were Photoshopped. Not shooting with a tripod is what gives the pics the smudgy, impressionistic quality. Outside of Lafitte's I did rest the camera for one shot on a woman's bike seat. Some dude came hauling ass out of the bar to threaten me to stop messing with his bike. (Not a girls bike after all I guess!) Now, I'll have to be honest--I do not go looking for fights. But when they come to me I relish the opportunity. Now, cheerful enthusiasm has to rank as a benign and un-threatening emotional state. But in the face of danger, delight may tend to come across as psychopathic. Apologies, a retreat, or both are typically the result. This guy chose curtain number two and disappeared back into the bar....

On the topic of violence, I have to say that New Orleans has gone downhill in the past few years. I'd been here both pre and post-Katrina and there are more threatening and aggressive dudes than ever. They typically hang out on the fringes of the French Quarter (wanting to make a quick hit before disappearing across Canal St.), but they're here in greater numbers than I've seen in the past (even had a guy follow me after I used the ATM around noon). I still highly recommend visiting if you've never been, but a far greater amount of vigilance is needed here than most big cities (leave the fanny packs at home unless that's where you keep your HK).
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote