View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
Inniswhe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
F800GS or large thumper like XR650L ?

I am looking for opinions of those that went to the F8gs from larger GS's and use their bikes off road quite a bit.

I have a r1150gs that works great and is a joy on the highway but really to heavy for anything rougher than decent fire roads, it hates mud even with the heidenau scout tires.
I find myself preferring dirt more and more so I am looking at either a f8gs or xr650l. If I go with the bmw I sell the 1150 as I am confident that the f8 will cover pavement duty but wonder how much better it will be on fire roads and occasional slow single track, is there any point in that move ?

How much better would the XR be ? Problem with the honda is it will probably suck on the pavement so I won't want to take it on any longer trips camping where I get into the better logging roads etc.
I used to have a transalp that was a pretty good all around bike but still lacked off road, due to weight and pavement suspension. The f8gs is about the same weight as that bike so I wonder if the f8 is any better offroad with modern suspension ?

So do I try to get that elusive all around bike that does not seem to exist or have two bikes that each have their place and frustrate you on every ride where you mix both on and of pavement?

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
Inniswhe is offline   Reply With Quote