View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #96
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Nov 5 Hiking Taxco

Agreed to meet one of the Marks to walk up to the top of the mountain the main part of the town is built on and on which is a huge St Christopher statue. Started out up this road with a remnant of Dia de los Muertos festivities hanging from the arch.

We basically followed the track of a recent downhill mountain bike event through the streets and alleys of the town. Insane! Stairs are long, in some cases narrow, steep and with weird corners in them. At the top, we followed the dirt track up an almost vertical climb. I was feeling the altitude and exertion before we got close to the top. A patient young Aussie waiting for Wheezing Geezer.

Beautiful view of the city from up there.

There seemed to be a propensity for throwing really loud firecrackers in town. While at the top we noticed what seemed to be something launched and exploding in the air in a couple of places at the edges of town. Looked like the bombs bursting in air thing. Whatever they are, they are loud. Seem to have some connection with the church bells ringing. You can see the puffs of smoke over towards the mine.

Followed the bike track down. In addition to the stairs, there are some insanely narrow streets here and a number of ramps were built in various places. Mark doing his best mountain biker impression of a corner they had to do after this little set of stairs

Went through the Zocolo (town square)

Just a random shot of a guy with his burro hauling something through town

Met up with the boys for dinner again. First restaurant given as a recommendation was closed but a lady happened to be walking by and took us down a few streets to another place that was open good food. Stayed later than I should have as I wanted to get an early start for a full days ride to Oaxaca in the morning. But beer seems to do that.

www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote