View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
Geeto67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
here is a debate for you all.....do you change the oil prior to first startup after a prolonged nap or after?

I have always started the bike on the oil it had in it, then once hot, drained and replaced with fresh stuff. I have done this on at least a dozen aircooled honda fours in my life and some of them had been sitting for almost 20 years. Every mechanical based job I ever worked in I was always told to change the engine oil hot not cold on stored vehicles. Of course I was always told to prime the oil pump before start up, even if it meant just turning the engine over with the starter (most 60's GM cars you can prime the oil pump by pulling the distributor and turning the pump gear with an electric drill - on the SOHC cb750s I always kicked it over about a dozen times and usually the red oil pressure light would go off).

However, a friend of mine recently ruined an R65 engine when he did it because there was water in the crankcase that did not show on the dipstick and he spun a bearing.

so, hot oil change or not?
Geeto67 is offline   Reply With Quote