View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,040
I rode my 2004 950 all over North America for 7 seasons including 2 coast/coast and two Alcan5000 TSD rallys. I bought all my farkles with the bike and the bike was intended for the 2006 Acan5000 when I bought it. The following is my list:

1. KTM comfort seat (gel pad imbedded)
2. Heated grips wired to the switched circuit
3. Extra power plug for whatever direct wired
4. GPS system hardwired
5. Cee-Baily screen (subsequently removed when I went to more aero helmet)
6. Gobi luggage
7. Custom tail plate purchased here (probably many similar)
8. KTM large tailbag
9. Gerbing jacket liner
10. Akro slipons (probably a waste, but sounded nice with baffle in)
11. Cyclepump
12. 1 large tire spoon and two 8 inch jobs
13. Bead breaker
14. Specialty sockets selected for certain fasteners
15. 32mm socket and breaker bar for axle nuts
16. Waterproof riding gear and Disco boots
17. KTM electric roadbook holder and dash replacement to mount it
18. Fastway footpegs set at the lowest setting (bike too cramped between pegs and seat)
19 Various spares like levers, tubes, and fuses

The bike was great, if crude. I only used it for trips. The new 990's are much more refined in every way. The luggage was particularly handy in that I could unclip them like suit cases and use them around camp as places to sit or haul into my motel room. Plus they had no sharp corners and you can buy replacement parts. I had to modify the rear wheels by grinding down a section of the safety bead. This enabled me to fix flats to change tires trailside (which you do on 7500 mile trips throught the great white north).

I was going to get a new 990, but my son talked me into a new 690R because it was lighter for the type of solo riding I do. I don't regret it.

950 circa 2006:

690R this summer:

Both bikes used for the same purpose (travel), but I can go more placed off the beaten path with the little one.

PS: I am entered in the 2014 Alcan5000 too. It may be the last and probably has the best route www.alcan5000.com

Pantah screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 12:27 PM
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote