View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,372
Day 3
October 19, 2012
Virginia - West Virginia – Kentucky

I was told that a better introduction about my background as a rider was necessary. I have been riding moto trials for over 25 years. I have competed in a butt load of nationals and Ute Cups, Central regionals, Texas State Championships and now for @ 15 years in New Mexico riding in the New Mexico Trials Club (I would insert our web site here but I'm ashamed of it). I have also been a supporter and member of Team New Mexico for many years. I owned a street bike for a while but only put about 1,500 miles on it over about 7 years. I did not enjoy a street bike, felt to vulnerable on the street. So I never bothered to obtain a valid operator permit. Then I ran across a XR-250 and was mostly trials lurker on ADV. After a few rides across our land of enchantment, I got the ADV bug bad. I decided that I would not be an ADV poser, I would do something a bit rash and buy a real ADV bike. Yea not a farkle queen, just a basic common 2006 KLR. So with no real road riding experience or ADV camping background, I was the perfect candidate to go seek storms. Now on to page 2.

Good morning Jo Jo, sorry about a bad first night. Wet tent, wet bag, wet stuff, wet and cold bike this morning and no coffee. I kept thinking that a hotel with a shower and cable is so NOT over rated.

I did buy a cheap $4 dollar tripod stool. It was awesome in the tent, securing all my wet gear on top of other wet gear in a vain attempt to keep vital stuff dry. It has been a long time since I was in that “back packing type element” and was not a model of efficiency. I had never started the bike before especially a cold and wet bike. Rob mentioned that the choke doesn’t work but you don’t need it. So I turned on the key and there is the green light. Now or never, come on Jo Jo I know you can start. So the engine is turning over, I give it a bit of throttle, nothing. The gas is on, yea I checked. NuuuNuuNuuu, the electric whine and the motor chugging but not running. Damn I hope the battery doesn’t die. More throttle play and there is a chug and a cough. More throttle twists and more chugging. Come on Jo Jo, I demand you start now you red bitch! Bruuuuaaap. hell yea. All right Jo Jo, you did it girl!

So now where is my billfold, where is my cell phone. I am totally unorganized, everything is wet including the leaves that stick onto everything and the the dripping trees above. I got to be better organized, looking for stuff is maddening. I’m finally ready and the area is muddy. Cool enough, time to stand up on Jo Jo and ride some trials lines out of here. As soon as the front tire hit pavement I realized that the road is wet and also covered in leaves. Now this is crazy slick ass riding.

Way back in there is my tent. The road curved away from me so I was not visible from the highway at night.

Long day ahead, 250+ miles and ends in nasty rain.

Morning road.

I rode over 240 miles on day 2. I made it to my Mom’s house. It was a haul to go that far on small US highways but the majority of the day was just beautiful. 2 lane road travel which takes triple the time of an interstate. I took pictures, I stopped at cool places, I road wet roads in the fog. I passed coal trucks and had to brake hard too many times going down hill into crazy hair pins.

The ridge and valley riding with crazy switch backs and then small beautiful and quiet little valley towns was refreshing. Urban Americana represents. I keep forgetting that the bike may be a dirt bike but not with a ton of crap on it. I made a U turn and didn't have enough black top so I went into a small bar ditch and really got squirrely roosting out of the ditch and back on the road. I threw down some trials moves to clean it and ride out. So far the worse experience less the storm on Thursday night was the airport in Richmond, a coffee quest that ultimately I was the victor. The purpose of the U turn was I spotted a small State Park and also noticed a truck pulling a bumper camper with a Suzuki DR 400 in the back. I was not so interested in the bike as I was in the gas they may have. I never bothered to ask Rob how much gas Jo Jo was carrying and was riding on reserve. I soon struck up a conversation with the owner of the DR and his father. They were from Florida and chasing the fall colors south. I was given about a gallon of generator gas and they were just very nice and we enjoyed a chat about Jo Jo and the ride to New Mexico. This is a picture as they left heading south.

Quote:
A woman in a group at a state park told me that if I were going to ride a motorcycle across the USA I needed to practice first. I told her I had studied up on it.

I got myself somewhat squared away with a bike packed up. I said good bye and thank you.

Buena Vista and a fully loaded KLR. Needs milk crates.

Fall colors have just peaked in many areas. New River, the Gaulle River, Green Bank WVA, Pocahontas County is very wild and wonderful.

Radio satellites – Green Bank WVA

From the web:
The Robert C. Byrd Green Bank Telescope, or GBT, is the world’s premiere single-dish radio telescope operating at meter to millimeter wavelengths. Its enormous 100-meter diameter collecting area, its unblocked aperture, and its excellent surface accuracy provide unprecedented sensitivity across the telescope's full 0.1 - 116 GHz (3.0m - 2.6mm) operating range. The single focal plane is ideal for rapid, wide-field imaging systems – cameras. Because the GBT has access to 85% of the celestial sphere, it serves as the wide-field imaging complement to ALMA and the EVLA. Its operation is highly efficient, and it is used for astronomy about 6500 hours every year, with 2000-3000 hours per year available to high frequency science.
Part of the scientific strength of the GBT is its flexibility and ease of use, allowing for rapid response to new scientific ideas. It is scheduled dynamically to match project needs to the available weather. The GBT is also readily reconfigured with new and experimental hardware, adopting the best technology for any scientific pursuit. Facilities of the Green Bank Observatory are also used for other scientific research, for many programs in education and public outreach, and for training students and teachers.

Cass WVA. There is a narrow gauge railroad that operates. I imagine the ride this day would have been spectacular.

Stop and smell the water. I'm starting feel like an ADV rider now. I know, not really.

The weather went to hell around Charleston WVA and the next 3 hours riding into the tri state area of Ashland/Huntington region was comprised of Friday rush hour traffic, mega wind and rain. The KLR just tractors through it if you can hang on. I am learning the bike and trusting it more and more. How come they don't make wind shield wipers for motorcycle helmets? How are you supposed to see at night in the rain? I also rode wind trials. Cross wind madness really. I had to push my left handle bar and lean 45 degrees over the right side bars to hold my line. I felt like Kenny Roberts and Bernie Schriber riding in serious post storm winds today. I found the wind very rude. Later on I find more winds.

Rain suit time, found a beaver here and his damn home

Made it to my nephew Jesse’s man castle wet and knackered from dark rain & wind riding

From there my Mothers house was about 15 miles and it was so good to see my Mom.

The next chapter I ride around the back roads of Kentucky.

AteamNM screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 08:24 AM
AteamNM is online now   Reply With Quote