After a few more failed attempts at fishing the tensioner out, I decided to just removed the Telelever attaching bolt (on right side) and push the rod out on the left, then lift up gently on the front tire to move it out of the way, this is what I should have done right from the start, it takes literally just a couple of minutes and allows easy access to the cam chain tensioner with a socket which also gives you the ability to torque it down correctly (23.6 ft/lb).
To my surprise my bike had the most to date tensioner installed on the left side but the older and slightly shorter (1/8") spring on the right side.
I'll just complete this write-up with a few photos in case anyone else runs into the same trouble I had or you want a quick and easy way to gain more access to the lh tensioner.
Pop the black plastic cap on the right side Telelever link and remove this bolt with an 18mm socket and extension. :
Push the rod out the left side, it should be greased up and move fairly easy, I used a long screwdriver and slid it right out.
This is the rod greased back up and ready to to push back in.
You can see all the extra room this gives you, my new tensioner is torqued into place and I'm ready to batten everything back down.
New LH tensioner:
VS. My old tensioner
Got it all back together and fired it up, after two seconds it sounded good, no oil leaks and seems to run like it should.