View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #52
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCardigan View Post
Nothing wrong with Taihape, lovely little town, very comfortable motel (Aspen Crt) and boy was I glad to check in after crossing the High Desert in pissing rain all the way from Rotorua.

"'Dont forget to do Taihapes world famous sport when your their."

Sheep shagging? I could be so lucky!

Here is Heidi, my new German girlfriend
In Ian's garage stripped down for some TLC.
Mr Postie doing the wiring.

The bike runs beautifully, I didn't pussyfoot coming over the High Desert Rd, in fact I tend to go faster in the wet, so long as I'm dry. Excellent fuel economy for a R80GS. Fueled up at Rotorua, 250k's to Tahiape, took 15.8 lts. Gives me over 500k's on the tank.

Thank god we fitted new tyres, the screen and hand guards, in hindsight should have fitted the heated grips, but didn't think it would get so cold this time of year. Wrong!

To be continued

a
Taihape is a rural supply town and was at its peak during the 1960s when it was a railway and transport hub for the surrounding farming community. Much of its economic activity revolved around the railway and rural communities. A major decline occurred in the 1980s due to a restructure and electrification of the railway system and a general downturn in the farming sector. In recent years with the advent of major tourist attractions Taihape is now experiencing an upturn in local commerce. Its location on the North Island Main Trunk Railway and on State Highway 1 has ensured its economic survival. Taihape's main claim to fame is as the "Gumboot Capital of the World", and it attracts large numbers of people to the annual gumboot-throwing contest.

welcome to Queensland East, "Fine one day, pissing down the next"

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote