View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 01:49 AM   #53
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

Oddometer: 2,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NZ View Post
Taihape is a rural supply town and was at its peak during the 1960s when it was a railway and transport hub for the surrounding farming community. Much of its economic activity revolved around the railway and rural communities. A major decline occurred in the 1980s due to a restructure and electrification of the railway system and a general downturn in the farming sector. In recent years with the advent of major tourist attractions Taihape is now experiencing an upturn in local commerce. Its location on the North Island Main Trunk Railway and on State Highway 1 has ensured its economic survival. Taihape's main claim to fame is as the "Gumboot Capital of the World", and it attracts large numbers of people to the annual gumboot-throwing contest.

welcome to Queensland East, "Fine one day, pissing down the next"
Oh! so sorry

I thought that the Gumboot statue as you enter town from the north was in honour of how the locals managed to have sex with a relucant sheep.
Stove their hind legs down inside the gumboots, MOST IMPORTANLY, with the ewe facing forward, and away you go.
Otherwise you have to kiss them

Touche'

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is offline   Reply With Quote