View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #95
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgretz View Post
The other potential gottcha with the Garmin is that it displays the arrival time in the time zone you will be in when you arrive. I know that got exciting to me one evening out in the middle of F"n nowhere when I ended up with 50 miles to the closest gas station and about 40 miles of fuel. Fortunately at 40mph the mileage was enough that the Honda Shadow made it into town. Put 3.9 gallons into a 3.5 gallon tank.
One of these days I may actually read the instruction manual for that gizmo, but I doubt that's in there.

jdg
I hear ya, JD. My first Garmin was a Zumo 450. Nothing fancy. $200 savings over the 550 with its Blutooth and XM Radio, two items I had no use for. The maps were great and the computer software was adequate. This time I looked around a bit, checked out TomTom and was a little scared away by reviews. I didn't want to throw down 7 or 800 bucks on the higher end versons of Garmin and went for the Nuvi 220. I guess you get what you pay for with the first unit being returned with a cracked case a few weeks into it and a whole replacement debacle taking place. But still, the two or three weeks without it I felt lost.
But I feel the new Basecamp map system doesn't hold a candle to the old and you get this totally bogus Global map on the Pooter unless you plug in the Nuvi. Then it overlays with the Navigator map. Annoying.