View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #21
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,372
Modern suspension=F800gs. Sorry, I just had to say that. It was the first thing I changed.

I love my F800gs. Good on pavement and I prefer it when riding fire roads. Maybe it is the long wheel base that helps with the stability. It may be lighter than an 1150 or 1200 but it is longer than either, which is not going to help on single track. It has the same transmission as the street version, which shows up trying poke along at low speeds.

It is well balanced, that can suck you into believing it can do more than what it is designed for. It is a 500lb bike, good for all types of dirt roads. Push it any further and it becomes a handful.

Because of your size, you can probably take it places I won't go.

My other bike is a KLX680c, with all the typical add ons. Plenty of HP to cruise with, but its comfort zone is about 70mph. I have ridden long miles on it. Being lighter, (at 390lb, 5 gal tank) it gets blown around more and at altitude it loses power like any other carbed bike.

The XRL is too tall for me, but ridden with plenty. A torquey engine with decent suspension for this venue, if limited to the Japanese bikes. The height, weight, carb and engine will limit its hwy capabilities.

itsatdm screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 07:29 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote