View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #202
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,610
For me a good ride report is not a showcase for photographers. It's said that a picture speaks a thousand words but, honestly, I'd much rather read about the challenges, the joy, the experience of your ride. What worked, what didn't work, what you loved but also what you hated.

To that end I keep a diary, nothing complex, I keep it accessible and I (try to) use words to describe my journey and use pictures to support the words, not the other way around. Where I stopped for lunch, what I had, who I met, anything unusual I saw. I don't use it all, but I pick out highlights.

I also find it helps to write to someone, either to myself, an SO, family, someone - for me the audience influences the style.

Focus on maintaining honesty - it can be really easy to add some poetic license, to add frills, to "smooth" it out, to forget the crappy days when you wanted to quit, or when it rained all day so you stayed off the bike etc etc.

Don't waffle :p we don't want to hear about every tent peg, but we do want to know about whether you camped or stayed with friends. Try to avoid repeating yourself too much - you know what I mean, keep the writing succinct if it's not unique,

Use a spellchecker (I tend to use gmail's spellcheck) and try to avoid, or return to correct, the more obvious grammatical errors. These can really detract from a report.

Read other riders reports, pick out what you found enjoyable in them, what resonated with you. And what you didn't like. Use those dislikes and likes to help frame your own report.

Above all, remember that the only way you can go wrong is to not post at all.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote