View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #684
guzzirelic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchB View Post
That is really nice. I've been thinking that the Titan might just be the two stroke to add to my harem (RDs a little too small, Kawi triples are now too much $$$...). Nice example.
So - please, tell us what it's like to own and ride. They would seem to be a bit heavy. Does it handle - at all? We need your ride report...
I brought a very sad pile of parts back to life a couple of years ago...1976 GT500A. It's the same bike with the larger tank and disc brake, very few other differences. I haven't done it over cosmetically but on the mechanical side of things it is well sorted out. I rode a few thousand miles last season and can say that I got used to the handling.
It reminded me of my BMW R75/5, (sold many years ago); slow handling for sure. The very long swing arm has a lot to do with that. I wouldn't call it at all flickable and it does not compare to an RD350/400. BUT- it all depends on what you want. The Titan feels very planted, more touring than sporty. And the handling matches the power. Very sedate for a two stroke, no kick in the pants power band to sneak up on you. I did some full days on mine and enjoyed the bike.
I have Dunlops and Progressive rear shock/spring units. I replaced the fork springs with some Progressives but guessed a little on the high side resulting in a harsher ride than I'd like. (they don't have a listing for this bike)
If you want a trouble free two stroke that you can reliably ride all day, you can't go wrong with a Titan. Seems good ones are rarer than the RD's as well. Just get used to kicking with your left leg...

Relic

I think I posted a pic of my purchase in this thread back on page 18.
1976 Yamaha DT400C; 1960 Panther M120
1970 Yamaha 100 L5TA Trailmaster
guzzirelic is offline   Reply With Quote