View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #104
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
San Pedro la Laguna

I'm staying at San Pedro de la Laguna in Guatemala on Lake Atitlan. This is an incredible place; amazing climate, amazing people, and amazing scenery. I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow. It's also dirt cheap. All told, you can live pretty comfortably on less than $40 a day if you aren't buying gas. If you want to cook for yourself, you can really live cheap.

The only thing wrong with San Pedro is the number of Expats and tourists. Some of them are cool, but the vast majority are a little weird or a little too interested in getting high and making a nuisance of themselves. There are some cool ones though, you just have to look around.

My Hotel is called "Hotel Peneleu". It's a crazy, ramshackle affair, over four stories high with several seperate buildings, several of which are still under construction. It has several nice balconies overlooking the lake and the view is incredible. The hotel is very clean and the family that owns/operates are extremly nice. There are a lot of Euros here as well, but most of the time they are fairly quite and polite. My hotel room costs about 30 Quetzals or about $3.80 a night.

Finally, I was riding around yesterday, and I saw this licence plate holder from Tri-Cities, WA, which is really close to my hometown in Hermiston, OR.

It's kind of odd running into something like this over 3,000 miles from where it's supposed to be. This licence plate holder is on the garbage truck that comes by every morning to collect our dirty toilet paper.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote