View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #101
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
I get up early to try and get into town to get more oil. They say to stand out the front and flag down a passing truck. Nothing seems to be coming my way and I think I may as well try walking the 9 km back into town. On the way I meet one of the Guatemalan men from last night walking back towards the hostel. He has walked up the road 2km to check the state of his passage out and says he will give me a lift into town if I want to wait while he and his family take breakfast. I go back with him and much to my protesting he shouts me breakfast too! His family are delightful, and we all jump into the back of the pick up truck to head into town. They load rocks into the back as well trying to increase the weight to help with traction on the hills. The road has significantly dried out but the truck has a hard time on the roads. They can’t believe I made it over this last night. I start to feel a little better. It’s not just me!

IMG_3401

They take me to the shop to ensure I get what I need, and leave me with a renewed sense of delight with hugs all round and joking in the voice of my father to ‘check your oil’ as they left me. I catch a truck back to the hostel and fill up the oil and ride out to the national park for the day.

The waters are amazing. It is a beautiful place.
P1010423

P1010367

P1010402

P1010414

P1010364

As the afternoon wears on the clouds start to gather again and I head back to the hostel to grab my stuff. I want to get out of here before the road turns to mud again.
As I leave I notice a little crack developing in my luggage racks, and as I get into town I head straight for a welder. We work on the racks together, but scarily they use no eye protection!

P1010465

P1010464

P1010467

While at the welders, people walk past and comment on my safety. The town seems to know where I have been and what I have done. The come up to me and talk. ‘I saw you yesterday! You made it safely we heard!’ Its lovely but kind of funny to be the town gossip for the day!

I head to a lovely hostel on the river for the night and met a lovely Kiwi woman. She reminds me of what it is to be brave, and the challenges in life and how they are all different. Conversations that are rich and fulfilling. I feel I might meet her again someday, somewhere. I love these moments.

IMG_3281

Hewby screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 12:29 PM
Hewby is offline   Reply With Quote