View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Loaded up and ready to go!!

Same old route out of town, stellar weather.

While enjoying the weather a storm marched down the Sierra's from the north. I tried Hwy 4...closed, Hwy 108...closed, Hwy 120....closed, all had been open when I left home.

Looks like I'm going around the south end this time. I don't ever go into Yosemite, but I'm here right now. Why not?

Stayed in the hills as long as possible, had to go into Fresno, then south to Delano to get onto Hwy 155.

In the dark, bad wind starts as I go down the grade into Wofford Heights, around the back of Lake Isabella out to 14 north to Olancha for fuel. Wind is incredible, 60 mph steady with higher gusts. Waves of sand would wipe out all visibility as I wobbled past the Olancha Dunes.

I had grabbed a bundle of firewood and had given up on getting to the hot springs, planning to stay in the Boxcar Cabin. I missed it in the dark and wind, finding myself at the South Pass before I realized it.

Grapevine Canyon in the dark after this years monsoons isn't what I had planned, but here I am. It's hard to tell, but I need to hug a dropoff on the right with a severe washout to my left with wind trying to knock me down.

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote