View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 04:17 AM   #5
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavscout99 View Post
I got a Montana this past spring, overall it is great. However I got caught on my bike for about 5 min in a thunderstorm and the Montana stopped working, had water in the screen. when I contacted Garmin they told me that although it is water proof it should not be in the rain. They covered it his time but said it was a one time deal. Quote from Garmin email response "If you continue to use this on your motorcycle please keep a baggie on your bike so if you get caught in rain you can put it over the device so you don't have to worry about the pelting of the rain causing water to get inside the device". I think it is still one of the best GPS for dual sport, especially if you want to use it for other sports as well. I just think that the description on the website is a little misleading.
This doesn't make sense. The Montana is supposed to pass IPX7 specs, meaning it can be submerged for 30 minutes in 1 meter of water.

IPX7 Defined

The number after the IPX denotes what level of protection is afforded against water. The scale ranges from IPX0 to IPX8. The first standard, zero, means the device has no water protection. Eight means the device is fully submersible, like a scuba diver's watch or depth gauge. IPX7 means the device is submersible for 30 minutes maximum, for no deeper than one meter without suffering water damage. A meter is about 39 inches, or a little bit longer than a yard. If the device is submerged for longer than 30 minutes, it will suffer damage, or if the device is brought deeper than 1 meter, it will suffer damage.

Read more: Standards for an IEC 529 IPX7 | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7729279_sta...#ixzz2CfN1oSRC
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote