View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #43
EPMD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona View Post
I now have a pair of Alpinestar Tech 7 boots which feel suitably tough enough to protect my ankle but I now find it super hard to change gear as my ankle doesn't move. Is there a nack to this, do I need a longer gear lever, is the gs suitable? Any advice appreciated.
MX boots won't let you articulate your ankle the same amount as road boots and/or regular shoes.

So you'll need to adjust accordingly.

When seated, especially when leaning forward, you'll basically need to lift your entire foot off the peg to shift. Same goes for braking. You end up using your whole leg to shift (and brake).

When standing, you should have enough ankle range of motion to brake and shift. Important tip! Stay on the balls of your feet for greater control and shock absorbing abilities by letting your ankle joints work. When needing to brake/shift, transition to the arches of your feet. Then switch back to the balls of your feet as soon as you can.

I'm not making this stuff up either. These are all pro MX and off road riding tips from Donnie Bales and Gary Semics.

EPMD screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 10:00 AM
EPMD is offline   Reply With Quote