View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
This doesn't make sense. The Montana is supposed to pass IPX7 specs, meaning it can be submerged for 30 minutes in 1 meter of water.
Correct, garmin says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garmin
An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. An IPX8 designation is for continuous underwater use.
What Garmin does not talk about is "driving rain".

I looked it up years ago and just tried to find a source but can't... Anyway, as far as I know 7 definitely does not cover water that is moving at highway speeds. I think even IPX8 (the highest IP level) does not guarantee protection against water moving at highway speeds.

Basically, you can ride in the rain but only if your device is behind some kind of windshield, unless the manufacturer specifically mentions what speed water it can handle (eg: a marine GPS might handle "driving rain" but boats are slower than motorcycles so I still wouldn't trust it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavscout99
5 min in a thunderstorm and the Montana stopped working, had water in the screen. when I contacted Garmin they told me that although it is water proof it should not be in the rain. They covered it his time but said it was a one time deal.
That's nice of them to replace it.

I think you were probably also unlucky. 5 minutes is not very long and IPX7 *usually* can handle a bit of rain (actually, even non-waterproof devices can usually handle rain).

I wonder... did you try pulling the batteries out and letting it dry for a week or two? Pretty good chance it would work after that, as long as no salt water/etc got in. I'm guessing if you sent it back to Garmin they will have done that and used it for spare parts doing warranty repairs for other people.

abhibeckert screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 10:03 AM
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote