View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Oddometer: 306
3.5 months to Machu Picchu - Or where ever the ride takes me

So my plan is pretty simple; head South. For a person that is a planner it is not a real detailed plan. I work in AK on a 2 week on 2 week off schedule and have been flying and riding as much as possible. I knew to keep going south of Mexico 2 weeks off at a time just wasn't going to do it. So I asked for a leave of absence and thankfully I was able to work out some time away. Thanks to my hefe for being understanding and allowing me to chase a part of my dream.

I want to ride to TDF(tip of South America) but for me 3.5 months is not enough time. I like to enjoy the people and the places so I thought Machu Pichu was a great goal and compromise. I would love to have 6 months off but I am very thankful to be able to walk back into a job when this trip is over. I am excited for what I have and this will be my longest trip so far. We will see how I feel at the end of 3 months maybe I will be ready to go back to work...

I might not be ready personally but I bet my bank account will be. My goal is MP but if I dont make it then I must have found something really cool along the way...

Enough jibber jabba. This ride starts in CO at the famous Woodys Wheel Works!! I just finished up one my best rides through the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Wasatch Natl Forest and through Arapahoe Natl Forest. It was only a 2 week ride and it was amazing. I will be spending more time in this area in the future.

Here are a few highlights of AZ-UT-CO!!!
Me at the Grand Canyon
Lots of Grand Canyon Shots

My whip at the grand canyon
Lots of Grand Canyon Shots

Getting harassed in the GC...but no ticket!
Go Pro pic of this guy harassing me! Glad I could get a sneaky pic.. DCIM\100GOPRO

cool balanced rocks north of the Grand Canyon
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Heading into Zion
Zion Natl Park

Some locals that were a littler closer than I would like. I did get some great go pro video except a bug the size a bird splattered on my lens. So...its good video if you look through the bug guts
More sheep

Angels Landing hike

Living on the edge
Living on the edge

one wrong step and a several thousand foot drop for this guy

I think that I really add to the view

Near Bryce
Near Bryce Canyon

Utah Dirt
Dirt riding through free range country

Hiked Deseret Peak with an old friend I ski bummed with years ago. The lucky SOB is a stay at home Dad/ski bum still. He figured it out early on.
Near the top of Deseret Peak

more UT dirt. I got very lost this day and the road disappeared.
Near the end of Diamond Ridge Rd

Lake Granby CO
Granby Lake CO

More CO
East of Granby Lake.  Abandon Town

Highest road in North America
Estes Park

What's this guy all worked up about? Must be
This guy was heavy in the rut

For more pics of the ride I should have done a ride report on. Go to http://akjts.smugmug.com/Motorcycles.

Right now I am playing catch up a little and my ride report will be more detailed and personal once I get back in the rhythm of the road again. Stick with me I will try to share with you lots laughs and the highs and lows of the road.

Bike dropped at Woddy for some new Excel rims and tubeless tires!!!!!

When I return to the bike I have a day and a half to ride to AZ for a wedding that I am in and then off to Puerto Vallarta Mexico.
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote