View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #36
momi20 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
After HuŤ I had the last of my ďscheduledĒ stops: the My Son Sanctuary. On the map I can just show more or less where I had the rest: I donít know it exactly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

In 1968, durino the Vietnam War in one of the boroughs of My Son ( his name is My Lai) a brutal mass murder of Vietnamese civilians (farmers) was did from United States Army

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre

Vietnam tool gate: as in India motorbike, scooter and bicycle run tool free

A break with an Ice Coffe

Again on the road, but after few minutes I heard a big noise: Ohh my God, a punture ? No Iím lucky cause the bike is running well. Why stop to check ? If the bike goes everything is fineÖthia will be the most big mistake of my vacation: youíll see why.

Pit stop for a juice fruit...ok due the presence of hammocks the pit stop became a siesta

I arrived at the Memorial in the first afternoon

The Memorial entry

Iím the only visitor

In a building therís a museum

This is the third time in my life that I visit a place like this. First was in Vilnius (Lithuania) wherís a museum in memory of the genocide that Russian Army and the KGB did from late 40ís and 50ís: more than 150.000 people were killed or deported. Second time was in India in the city of Amritsar where , in 1919, the British Army shooted in the park of Jalianwalla Bagh ( a space closed by big walls) to indian people: almost 1516 killed or wounded(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jallianwala_Bagh_massacre)

The monument dedicated to people killed in My Lai

You can see just the foundations of the original

In every house you can read the names of people killed

In a moment of rest I took a look outside the fence. A ricefield with people working and children playng: probably the morning of 1968 was very similar.

Itís 3 pm, time to go. Before to start itís better check the road with my map. And I want to go back on the Ho Chi Min Trail to continue towards Ho Chi Min City. The map, with the guide is in the left saddle bag...no: ok in the right..not even: in the rucksack ? Mhhh I donít remember. After 20 minutes itís clear that I donít have map or guide. Ohhh do you remember the big noise after the Ice Coffee ? It was the pack with map and guide, fallen on the road. Ok: go back to search them ? Noo, Ií near a city itís better try to look for another map. For the guide, this, in My Lai, was the last scheduled stop. From now Iíve got just geographical point of interest: the South of Vietnam ,Ho Chi Min City and so a map is enough.
In a bar, a man speaks english and so explain to a guy to bring me to downtown, to buy a map. First we stopped to a stationery store. After 20 minutes thay showed me their only map: a geografical map, bigger than me, to use in the primary school. Ok itís nice but bulky.
After we finally found the map in a supermarket: is perfect, made by the Vietnam National Tourism Center.

Ok, again ready to go

Itís dark, time to stop: if you can see a speed limit, youíll find even a bed.

Bike in the hall

I slept here.

momi20 is offline   Reply With Quote