View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #43
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,422
Wow thanks for those few replies.

This is the last of the posts. The epilogue I have written should likely stay buried in a maze of plastic, circuits and electronics. As I have drafted this report, completing the ending left me with a feeling of walking out of a place after the party is over. The lights are off and it's quiet. When the finish line is crossed, there is a sense of accomplishment, a sense of completeness. There is always a tinge of pride, "finish what you start". I'm sure that climbers that get tuned back near the crest or the hiker that falls short of the end, there is no gratification, only the hollow and haunting review of the failure. How we deal with failures defines us right. Make lemonade out of lemons. Several years ago, I took the exams to become a level II PSIA ski instructor. I went to Crested Butte and got my hat handed to me. I passed the teaching portion but failed the performance portion. It was 5 days in Key Stone, Vail and then a trek to Crested Butte. When the day was done, all the ski instructors were assembled in the lodge and announcements were made for those fortunate folks that passed. Applause applause. At that precise moment when all announcements were made, I knew with clarity that I did not pass, I failed. As the air inside you implodes and the taste of bile works it's way into your throat, I walked away. As I was opening the door to the outside, one of the examiners was providing a pep talk. How can you really cheer up those that did not pass? What can you say? As the door was closing, walking into darkness and snow, I vaguely heard what he said. Like when you can only hear someone when they whisper. What he said has stuck with me, sometimes it gives me hope.

He said to remember, life is all about the journey.

AteamNM screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 06:31 PM
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote