View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #158
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Matt.....New York.......did a bit of car driving in Scotland a few years back. Came up past B'ham, dinner in Glasgow then B & Bs in Port William(? I think it was) and a nice one on Skye. Loved that place. Then over to Edinburgh for a day and a half and finally roll back down into England. I'm itching to get over there with a bike. Ride during the day and relax with a wee dram in the evenings. Your experiences lead me to think that an interesting approach would be to choose a good B & B or small hotel which is centrally located to a network of good day rides. Then use the lodgings as a place to to roost at night, reducing the need to carry a heavy load of gear. Just tools, water, snack, and of course....rain gear. Looking forward to your continued reports.
New York? You'll be the only person looking to come over here for the better weather then. Hope you got through Sandy unscathed though, in all seriousness.

Yeah Scotland is small enough that loading up the bike with a ton of gear isn't totally necessary. A handful of well chosen locations to stay for a day or two will give you access to the whole country.

Fort William (with an 'F') is one such place and hopefully when I do a full tour of the country next year that's how I'll be doing it.

My Flickr
Matt 82 is offline   Reply With Quote