View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #311
V-Stormer
Bush Basher

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by r'elise me View Post
II tried on the Badlands today and it's impressive but it still seems like it would be too hot for slow speed DS summer rides. I'd prefer to use a pressure suit with whatever layers and a goretex jacket shell so I can peel back layers and stash them. You can't stash a badlands and even if you could, you'd be left without armor. Plus the Badlands vents are small in the front of the jacket (where most needed IMHO) , big at the pits and back. All the other Klim jackets without ce pads are poorly vented IMO, making them a bad choice for hot summer rides.

Does anyone know of a great wp outer layer (no liner) with great ventilation?

Does anyone know of a pressure suit with d3o pads?
My Olympia AST had similar venting to the Badlands and it was great. Full arm vents, two small front pocket vents and two large back vents. Based on my experience with that jacket, I think the Badlands will be even better with the fold back opening at the top of the front zip and the large pit/side vents. I just leave the front zip exposed by leaving the flaps open and maybe partially unzipping from the bottom as well to get some extra air flow. Add a dampened LD Comfort long sleeve tee and you'll be doing vents up to stay warm!

But yes, there are times when it's too hot for a full jacket and then it's time for the pressure suit and jersey. Typically though, rain isn't in the forecast and I don't bother carrying anything. But if I'm touring and away from home with the possibility of rain, the Badlands is supposed to be able to go over a pressure suit with the pads removed, or, like you I'd just take a waterproof shell. I was able to get the AST over a pressure suit and would just fold it up and strap it down if it got that hot. With the emergency only waterproof shell, I don't care so much about venting with those because I'd only be wearing it in the rain and venting is not a consideration. As soon as the rain stops, I'd be pulling it back off again.

As far as a waterproof shell with pads . . . your basically describing what the Badlands is. If you look at the inside the "liner" is just there to hold the pads and there are gaps around where the kidney belt is (another great feature by the way) that there is no lining at all. Add to that the abrasion protection of the shell material itself and you can't really beat that for an all-purpose system. I suggest taking a pressure suit to the store if you can and asking them to remove all the padding in the jacket and try it on for size. I'm going to need to shed some more pounds before that will work for me, but I'm sure it will.

V-Stormer screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 08:22 AM
V-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote